{"id":4473,"date":"2026-02-10T08:56:50","date_gmt":"2026-02-10T08:56:50","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/www.valentinirestauri.it\/restauro\/chiesa-di-santagata-del-mugello\/"},"modified":"2026-02-19T17:11:14","modified_gmt":"2026-02-19T17:11:14","slug":"chiesa-di-santagata-del-mugello","status":"publish","type":"restauro","link":"https:\/\/www.valentinirestauri.it\/en\/restoration\/chiesa-di-santagata-del-mugello\/","title":{"rendered":"CHIESA DI SANT\u2019AGATA DEL MUGELLO"},"content":{"rendered":"<div class=\"wpb-content-wrapper\"><p>[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text css=&#8221;&#8221;]<\/p>\n<p>The <strong>Pieve di Sant&#8217;Agata<\/strong> is a place of worship located in Sant&#8217;Agata di Mugello, a hamlet in the municipality of <a href=\"https:\/\/en.wikipedia.org\/wiki\/Scarperia_e_San_Piero\">Scarperia e San Piero<\/a>, in the <a href=\"https:\/\/en.wikipedia.org\/wiki\/Metropolitan_City_of_Florence\">province of Florence<\/a>.<\/p>\n<p>Documented since <a href=\"https:\/\/en.wikipedia.org\/wiki\/984\">984<\/a>, it may have been built over an earlier church, as indicated by the remains of a previous 4th-5th century building located beneath the current floor. The church was rebuilt in the 12th century, likely around the mid-century\u2014as deduced from the date 1175 engraved on one of the panels of the ancient pulpit\u2014and corresponds to the structure seen today. In 1542, it suffered the first major earthquake, which particularly affected the bell tower, followed by a second in 1611, both resulting in subsequent restorations and remodeling. Between 1608 and 1611, the parish priest Tolomeo Nozzolini sought to modernize the church according to the new criteria of the Counter-Reformation: both the interior and exterior were plastered; the raised presbytery was lowered, dismantling the ancient pulpit; and the wooden altars were replaced with stone ones to house new, modern paintings.<\/p>\n<p>The <strong>Crucifix Chapel (Cappella del Crocefisso)<\/strong> was built in 1477 by the Florentine Cambi family. The chapel&#8217;s name derives from the Crucifix, which Nozzolini placed here as an altar ornament. The back wall, the subject of our project, was frescoed by the painter <strong>Luigi Ademollo (1764-1849)<\/strong> and depicts the <em>Resurrection of Christ<\/em> on the right and the <em>Sleeping Soldiers<\/em> on the left. The severe state of degradation makes it impossible to discern if the <em>Pious Women<\/em> and the <em>Angel<\/em> are also present, as they may be hidden by the thick carbonate patina covering almost the entire surface.<\/p>\n<p>[\/vc_column_text][\/vc_column][\/vc_row]<\/p>\n<\/div>","protected":false},"featured_media":4475,"template":"","class_list":["post-4473","restauro","type-restauro","status-publish","has-post-thumbnail","hentry","categoria_restauro-restoration"],"acf":[],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.valentinirestauri.it\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/restauro\/4473","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.valentinirestauri.it\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/restauro"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.valentinirestauri.it\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/restauro"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/www.valentinirestauri.it\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/4475"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/www.valentinirestauri.it\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=4473"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}